Monday, June 8, 2015

I don't know why my computer thinks I'm in India...

Because I am most definitely not. However, I noticed my computer now automatically directs me to "Google India," and my blog has a ".in" after the dotcom. Whatever. Maybe globe-trotting (well, western-Europe trotting anyway) in the upcoming weeks will somehow reset it.

Anyway, while I'm not India-bound anytime soon that I know of, I am viva-la-France-bound in just four days! :D My nerves are in a bundle as I attempt to pack (ha-- just kidding, I haven't started), finish this term of grad school in a paper-writing frenzy, and plan lessons for a 13-year-old ESL student: something I have never done! I am not worried about traveling alone, hosteling, camping, and what-not (been there done all of that): I am mainly worried that I will offend my host family/locals by committing some sort of major etiquette-faux-pas; something that always stresses me before visiting a new culture. When I studied abroad in the UK, I remember experiencing that cringeworthy "Did I say something wrong/too 'American?'" feeling a few times. As progressive and eclectic as the Brits are (well, the younger generation anyway), their regard to societal norms/prim-and-proper mentality is still very much alive! :P Luckily, my French host family seems awesome, and I think we will get along well. They both know quite a bit of English, and I hope that by staying in such a small, very French town, I am able to really immerse myself in French culture and language. If any of my Facebook friends have ever stayed with a host family, I would enjoy hearing your story/advice! I would love to bring them a small gift from home, but I am a super uncreative gift-giver (as my two older nieces who receive iTunes gift cards for their birthdays could attest to, haha); so any ideas on that matter would be awesome as well! 

As a little pre-Europe excursion, I was able to visit my beautiful friend and former roomie Cara with my other beautiful friend and former roomie Emily in NYC this weekend for the Governor's Ball music festival. Even though Bonnaroo has Gov Ball beat on a few levels; we had a blast as per usual; and it was pretty refreshing to be able to wash the layers of mud off in the evening! After the festival each night, we hit up some of our favorite swanky Brooklyn/LES night spots: and swanky to us means The Trash Bar and Bushwick Country Club because they have complimentary Cheetos, and you can't go wrong with that. 

"Now and Then" pic, as is our standard pose at festivals.

Roomies. Belmont Uni grads. Fictitious bandmates.




No comments:

Post a Comment